The Department encourages students to undertake internships to replace taught industrial training and fulfill the HKIE accreditation requirement. This enables students to have a head start on career development and strive for excellence in the real world beyond the university.
All ELEC/CPEG students will be automatically registered in a new zero-credit course, ELEC2991 Industrial Experience (Electronic Engineering)/CPEG1971 Industrial Experience (Computer Engineering), starting from the spring semester of their year 2. Enrollment in ELEC2991/CPEG1971 will continue until student has completed a full-time internship of at least 6 weeks (or a cumulative of 240 working hours) at a company, in a position relevant to the student’s program of study. 6-month/1-year internship are also strongly encouraged. Some has joined the new CO-OP scheme to conduct industrial FYP in the same period. Exception allowed for internship at one or more companies over non-contiguous 6 week period (or a cumulative of 240 working hours within the same year). Part-time internship will only be considered under exceptional conditions and requires special approval. All students must also complete the USTSEEB Safety Training module. Students should approach ITC for training schedule or visit http://egitc.ust.hk/ for details.
Enrollment in ELEC2991/CPEG1971 will continue until internship requirement is fulfilled. If students do not complete an internship by the end of Year 3 summer, they will be required to complete the industrial training modules set by the HKUST Industrial Training Center (ITC) in their final year.
Before starting an internship, students should apply for approval and submit their CV on the e-Advising System. Internship Experience Coordinator of ECE will check whether the internship position can provide an industrial exposure experience and is relevant to the students' program of study. A position at a company is generally approved as long as it is broadly related to the program, but a position at a university is generally considered to lack industrial exposure experience. A brief report together with supervisor feedback need to be submitted online upon completion of the internship.
Course requirements of ELEC2991/CPEG1971 Industrial Experience
- All paperwork should be done on e-advising (https://e-advising1.seng.ust.hk/cgi-bin/internship/index.php).
- By year 2, student should prepare and submit CV.
- AS SOON AS an internship position is found, submit job description with offer letter/email as proof via e-advising for provisional approval by the Internship Coordinator.
- UPON COMPLETION of internship (NOT just before your graduation), submit supervisor feedback form, internship report, and student survey, for final approval.
- Students unable to find internship by summer of year 3 then undertake taught industrial training as last resort.
- For final approval, a complete application via e-advising include: 1) online application form; 2) supervisor feedback form; 3) internship report; and 4) student survey. After uploading your complete application, you may email the Internship Experience Coordinator to expedite the approval process.
- The complete application for fulfilling the internship requirement must be submitted within the same calendar year that the internship was taken for final approval.
- Otherwise, the internship taken will be FORFEITED, unless a special approval from the Industrial Experience Coordinator is granted in exceptional circumstances.